Saturday, 17 January 2015

Scrubbing the dishes



If anyone knows me, they know that scrubbing dishes is one of my least favourite chores... That's just the way it is. Depending on what was for dinner those dishes can be greasy and have ick-y, caked on food.. and if you leaves the dishes in the sink for a few days... well then it's even worse, and harder to clean up. It means much more of a deliberate effort on my part.


Tonight at bible study we were reading over Romans 7. Now a good chunk of that chapter is Paul talking about the war between our sinful nature and a Christian's new nature- the one full of God's spirit.
They are constantly at war!

And let me tell you, I can definitely relate to that lately... There have been several issues of sin, some habitual that have snuck back into my life..   ~I'm not going to specify because that is between myself and God~ ... But it has been a war of actually doing what I know is right according to God <.vs.> trying on my own to either fight it, or what might be more accurate the last couple weeks, just letting it be.  *Hangs head in shame*

I feel like those dishes left in the sink, sure there were small things I dealt with... but it was like running some water over the dishes...it might have cleared up a small spot but did little to clean the whole pot. I've honestly just been lazy; letting things sit there, all kinds of awful or ungrateful thoughts, selfish behaviours ect.  I felt exactly like Paul when he exclaimed:

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?!
~Romans 7:24~



I had - for the most part-  stopped denying myself - because it was hard, stopped counting myself dead to sin- because it's not that bad right? I stopped picking up my cross- because it was heavy.

I hadn't dealt with anything really, just hadn't gotten around to it - or started to look at what there was to do  - so I avoided it, but there's only so long one can go on like that-after all, the dishes won't clean themselves.


I love the next line after Paul proclaims he's a wretched man --- because it's the solution to our wretched selves - He's the one who can scrub us clean! :) 

Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
~Romans 7:25~ 



No comments:

Post a Comment